This recipe has been fine-tuned since last year. Our apprentice, Jamie developed this recipe to have the texture and richness of your prototypical brownie but without #dairy, #egg or #gluten. The results have been astonishing. We sell out of these every weekend at the Troy Farmer's market and are finally releasing our Rustic Cacao Flakes so you can make these babies at home.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Cooling Time: 3+ hours
Yield: 8 brownies
● 140g dark 60-100% chocolate
● 209g coconut oil
● 22 g ground flax seeds
● 120 g warm water
● 150 g King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure-for-Measure Flour
● 1 tsp baking powder
● 1/2 tsp salt
● 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
● 300g organic sugar
optional : crystallized ginger (in photo), nuts, dried fruit, coconut.
1. Heat oven to 350 F and line a 13x9’’ pan with parchment paper.
2. In a pan on the stove or in the microwave, melt the coconut oil together with the
3. Mix flax seed with water in a small bowl. Let the mixture rest to thicken.
4. Whisk together flour, cocoa flakes, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum in a
5. Pour the coconut oil-chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl and whisk in the
sugar and vanilla extract.
6. Stir the flax seed and water (flax egg) in with the other wet ingredients.
7. Stir in the dry ingredients a bit at a time until everything is combined.
8. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it into an even layer. Allow it to rest
uncovered for 30 minutes before moving to the oven.
9. Bake the brownies at 350 F for about 55 minutes- the edges should be firm and
the middle should be between jiggly and fully set.
10. Let the brownies cool for at least three hours before cutting. They need to be
completely cooled to hold their shape.